Directions: In this activity, you will be a business consultant to BluJay Aviation, Inc., the fictional company used in the first half of the course. Ongoing through the second half of the course, you will be hired by BluJay to advise them on some current operating activity issues and potential investing activities for growth opportunities. Your letter/report will outline your analyses and recommendations. This activity will apply concepts and techniques learned in the course.
During each module, for the remaining of the course, it will be useful to continue to draft what you are going to put in the final letter/report to BluJay that is due in Module 9. You will find it very helpful to have a working draft as you progress through the course. Reminders will be provided along the way. Remember, the best writing is done, edited, and redone. There will be one episode for Modules 5, 6, 8, and 9 (BluJay Aviation Episodes 6-9).
The letter/report should be submitted to BluJay Aviation, Inc. from your consulting business. Be sure to include a bill/invoice for your services; make it appropriate for the amount of work. The letter/report should be approximately 2-4 pages (6 total – 1 x ea for the title page and 1 x ea for the bill/invoice; separate page for references), again editing and rewriting normally improves work. The format should be a typical business letter/report style. Remember, as a business consultant, you need to make recommendations for each episode and back up your recommendations with data. You may also make any reasonable assumptions that may be needed.
Module 5 (BluJay Episode 6) Directions:
– Choose a name for the financial accounting company
– Come to a conclusion about what they should do and state the reason(s) for your decision. Draw up a rough draft of what you are going to put in the final letter/report to BluJay for Episode 6.
Module 6 (BluJay Episode 8) Directions:
– Make a recommendation to BluJay. What are the pros and cons of this alternative? In your recommendation to BluJay, be sure to sate the implications of your decision on all of the financial statements, not just the income statement.
– Add this information to your working rough draft of what you are going to put in the final letter/report to BluJay for Episode 8.
Module 8 (BluJay Episode 7) Directions: [Yes – they’re out of order. No, I don’t know why]
– Choose two options they might try to improve their cash flow and also advise them about the valuation of their accounts receivable.
– Add this information to your working rough draft of what you are going to put in the final letter/report to BluJay for Episode 7.
Module 9 (BluJay Episode 9) Directions:
– The final letter/report from your consulting company to BluJay is due by the end of this module. It should include your advice on financing the helicopter. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each form of financing expansion? Be sure to determine the effect on the financial statements and various ratios. Recommend whether BluJay should expand, and if so, how the helicopter should be purchased.
– Two ratios must be used in this report